Media has an affect on many views we have and decisions we make. This varies from what types of people we associate ourselves with to the food or clothing we buy at the store. I found an add in a magazine for a make up product the company is trying to sell. By analyzing this magazine add I was able to find what things made this product stand out to customers and what type of people it was directed to.
My magazine add is a Revlon make up ad for foundation. The initial thing I observed was that a very famous celebrity was sponsoring this product. By having a certain celebrity sponser a product either makes or breaks the product. If you really like this celebrity you may read into the ad more then if you did not like the celebrity which might simply lead you to turning the page.
Also I noticed how flawless her skin is. This flawlessness leads the viewer to believe that the make up will make their skin look flawless as well. Towards the bottom of the ad it states " Naturally Glamorous, Never Overdone." This phrase enhances the fact that the make up will make you look flawless. If you are glamorous and never overdone, you must be flawless.
Although the product's brand name was not in the center of the page, my eyes were still drawn to it. In big letters at the bottom of the page reads "REVLON." Since the brand is in big and bold font, the readers eyes are instantly drawn to it and makes you remember the name because of how much space on the page it took up.
The last thing in this ad I noticed was the audience it was attempting to attract. The celebrity is of caucasion ethnicity and shows a bottle of the make up in her skin tone. There is no other indication of this make up being usable to those of darker skin colors. The only indicator would be that the ad says there are five different shades. This is deceiving to the reader because only one shade of the make up is shown.
As I have said before, media has a major affect on the decisions of what products we decide to buy in our daily lives. The examples I have given show how the Revlon make up ad I found in a magazine makes the product seem like a good buy and could also be directed to a certain group of people.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment